God is Doing a New Thing! Are You Ready?
When I was in high school and college in the 1970’s, it was during a span of several years when God was doing it again – bringing revivals to congregations, colleges, home Bible study and prayer groups. Anywhere the people of God were meeting just might experience the invasion of the Holy Spirit among them. The atmosphere was charged with the palpable presence of God. Testimonies of God’s goodness were in order, accompanied with shouts of blessing and victory in Jesus. Altars were often lined with seekers. Repentance of sin and hunger for holiness of heart and life were normal in such an atmosphere.
During those revivals . . .
I heard about other amazing revivals sweeping across the land in times past, and was so grateful I was privileged to experience them for myself.
Through the years since, we have been in churches with marvelous music and great preaching. With congregations and pastors sensitive to the moves of God’s Spirit in the services. And where we’ve experienced God’s manifest presence in similar ways from time to time. We’re currently blessed to attend just such a church where we’re nurtured from week to week.
There was something about the great revivals in my youth, however, that I’ve never quite experienced since those years. I’m not sure why.
I’ve longed for those kinds of revival movements and prayed for them. Especially for succeeding generations to know what that kind of atmosphere in God’s presence is like. So that they are never satisfied with anything less than God’s best for them. And so that multitudes of lost souls will be attracted to the beauty of Jesus and find their way to the Savior.
I realize God doesn’t need to duplicate how He’s done things in the past, but it appears He is doing a similar but new thing again in these days! Various Scriptures and prophecies seem to indicate that God will pour out His Spirit in new and fresh and powerful ways in the last days (Joel 2:28-32; Acts 2:17-21).
Is that what we’re experiencing?
Recent reports are actually sharing about amazing revival moves of God’s Spirit among His people that sound just like what we experienced years ago. And they’re happening all over our nation.
Here are some expressions in recent reports:
- For weeks, God’s presence has been so real in our services, but I just don’t know when I have been in a sweeter service than God gave us in our morning worship service!! So many victories around two altar services and so many testimonies!
- The preaching service turned into a camp meeting service! The front of the auditorium was JAMMED with people praying, crying, being set free, and restored. Hard to describe! The tide continued to rise through the last service . . . God then gave us a closing service that will long be remembered. Forgiveness, healings, deliverance, and reviving all happening at once. It was a “God moment”! . . . no matter what you hear about California, be assured we have an army of Spirit-filled, joyous, obedient, dedicated (and sacrificial!) [saints] there who are staying true to Christ and the Kingdom! I Praise God!
- What an outstanding day God gave us . . . Excellent crowds both morning and night with the long altars filled in the second service this morning and again filled to overflowing tonight. Two men at the altar tonight who had never been to the church before. Praise God! The Holy Spirit of God is certainly at work here!!
- What a tremendous day God gave us . . . The altars were crowded to overflowing this morning and again there was a very strong response tonight! Afterwards, no one wanted to go home! A “holy glow” was all over the sanctuary! I give God all of the praise!
- God is still moving, churches are still having revivals, and the Holy Spirit wants to “break in” wherever He is invited!
I long to be in that kind of atmosphere in His holy presence when you can FEEL Him at work in many hearts all at once. And you can SEE countenances change and relationships healed right before your eyes. Where you can WATCH lives change in the days that follow.
I long for God to do it again and again and again!
God is a God of renewal, revival – restoration of wholeness – shalom!
Somehow, I just believe God wants to bring His special revitalizing moves to His people once again in these days.
He wants to wash away sins. I realize that “sin” and “repentance” have not been popular concepts in recent times, but where God finds repentant hearts, He wants to forgive sins, blot them out by His powerful purging blood, and melt away the guilt and shame.
He wants to cleanse hearts of ungodly intentions and self-centered motives. And He wants to fill believers with His Holy Spirit – a refining fire and a dynamo powerhouse for His mighty operations. He wants to empower believers to be instruments in His hands to do marvelous things that bring glory and honor to His name.
God wants to work His beautiful transformations and formations in individuals, families, churches, schools and even businesses and government institutions. He wants to bring His reviving and renewing power to totally changed hearts; shame and guilt for wrongs removed; purified intentions and motives; realigned perspectives; rekindled relationships; miraculously healed bodies; astoundingly provided otherwise impossible financial and material needs.
Why does God want to do all these remarkable things?
I believe there are several reasons. But uppermost among them:
- To provide beautiful examples of what His grace and power can do.
- To enable His people to serve Him better.
- To encourage His people of His faithful lovingkindness and tender mercies
- To strengthen His people to stand firm in our confusing times
- To prepare His people for most likely increasingly tumultuous times ahead
- To empower His people to become change agents for the betterment of society, even in the midst of the chaos.
- To bring such authentic mighty reviving moves among His people that are so attractive to the lost, that multitudes of lost souls will find their way to the Savior.
Most of all, God wants to bring great honor and glory to His Name once again.
HE must get ALL the glory as He works through His fully surrendered servants, cleansed, filled, and empowered to be His instruments of restoration to wholeness – SHALOM in Our Times!
I truly believe God wants to do a new thing among His people again in our day!
Are You Ready?
P.S. I’d love to hear about times in your services and other gatherings when God “breaks in” upon His people in revival ways. Please feel free to share on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SHALOMinOurTimes/ Let’s give God abundant space to work among us, and let’s give Him all the glory!
Find this post meaningful? I’d love for you to PIN IT!